Thursday, December 20, 2012

On Visitors and Residents: Better late than never :)


Obviously, I was definitely a visitor at the beginning of this course, a visitor that couldn’t wait to go back home. But now after finishing the course, and finally have watched the video, I can honestly say that I have found a new home. Maybe  my skills online are not as sophisticated as I’d like them to be, but at least not I’m not afraid to explore the many possibilities and I’m not afraid to connect with people worldwide. After participating in this class, I can now see the difference from when I started this course and now. According to Dr. White, a visitor is individually private and logs in and out without leaving a trace, whereas a resident is socially visible and leaves his presence behind somehow even when he is logged off. This is perhaps my favorite part of this video because it best describes my growth. When I first started this course I would use the internet for whatever purpose and then leave, or as Dr. White would put it, I would rummage a toolbox, use it for whatever purpose, and then put the tool back. Whereas now, I am definitely connecting with various people and learning and teaching others at the same time, it definitely has that walk in the park feel. I am aware that the more I learn, the more I know that there is still so much to know and that doesn’t scare me anymore. I am looking forward to whatever growth I demonstrate for deciding to reside in the virtual realm. On my internet, continuum, I am at the point where I’ve come to understand that it is not a question of “academic or technical skills but about culture and motivation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment