Thursday, December 20, 2012

On my first Ed Chat



First off I just want to show off how incredible our chat was tonight. I was a bit disappointed at first because I was actually waiting for #LangChat and I hadn’t realized that they are on a two week break for the Holidays. Imagine my surprise when I logged onto to twitter and saw that they were not going to connect. I just about flipped out because I thought I may not turn in this assignment on time. Then I went on Google and found the following website:  http://edudemic.com/2012/09/the-top-50-education-twitter-chats-and-how-to-use-them/, the top 50 education twitter chats (and how to use them). This amazing website not only posted the various Ed chats, but also gave a bit of background information on each and what time they met each week. Honestly I chose #isedchat because it was the only one that met on Thursdays at 9pm EST,an hour away from #LangChat, which gave me plenty of time to follow and drag it onto my tweetdeck next to interactions. Thanks Maureen for this tip! It also gave me time to chat with Dr. Joan McGettigan who was leading the chat. I came clean and said it was my first Ed chat and had no idea how to get started, she informed me about tonight’s topic and how to prepare for it in the few minutes I had left. She also gently reminded me not to forget using #isedchat after each comment. The topic for tonight was, “favorite tool for 2012,” which reminded me a lot about the activity we did on Wallwisher.com where we listed our favorite tools and apps. I heard very familiar apps like Evernote and Diigo. However, the majority of the tools mentioned were new: Socrative, Understoodit.com, Sproutsocial, Flipboard for IOS, Getpacket.com, and various iPad apps like Book Creator and Explain Everything. I was so proud of myself because I said that my favorite tool was Pinterest and a girl responded wanting to know how to use it. I copied a tutorial link from You Tube and she favored it saying she’d look into it after the chat. I can’t believe that I ACTUALLY TAUGHT SOMEONE SOMETHING!! It was at that moment that I saw how far I’ve come in just four months. I was a little nervous that I may be ignored because of the lack of knowledge I thought I offered the chat, but it was completely the opposite. The group of people I chatted with was happy that I was trying to expand my PLN and I wasn’t the only novice in the chat either so all embarrassment flew out the window. Everyone was so inviting and even offered me links to read over that may help me in the next chat. Various chatters congratulated me on my efforts and I even left the room with new followers, which of course made me happy. I loved the energy in the virtual room and it actually felt a lot like the Google conference we had as a class only I couldn’t see them or hear them. Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I can’t wait to do it again. I captured some of our conversations on Storify.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment