Thursday, December 20, 2012

A more formal approach to my observations at Paul Ecke Central Elementary School

Last time I wrote about my observations at PECES, I didn’t address the topic questions I was instructed to address. Very briefly, I’d like an opportunity to answer them now: 1).The main form of technology that we witnessed at PECES was the use of iPads. And yes the use of iPads most definitely promoted student learning. First graders were learning how to take care of the iPad, what the iPen was used for, and how to handle such devices responsibly. Third graders were engaged in independent reading and profiles. Fourth graders were creating presentations and movies to their classmates. Sixth graders were participating in class polls to answer math problems. Everything that I witnessed was extremely sophisticated as far as the promotion of learning and sharing goes. 2). I was particularly impressed with a cute little boy whose class we visited last, and I’d really like to kick myself for not remembering his name right now but he was soooo smart. His class was the first in the school to be in a dual language classroom where they study math and history in Spanish while studying Mandarin every Friday. His classroom uses the iPad regularly to complete assignments and assessments. He was so eloquent and confident as he shared that he was of great help to his family when he went to Mexico during the summer and helped his parents and the taxi driver understand each other.3). I already mentioned this, but what I saw the most of in relation to this class is how much the education system has changed since I was a child. Now, students are regarded and respected as the experts of their own learning (at least at PECES) I couldn’t help but notice various topics that were discussed in “The Essence of Connected Learning,” and how much in control these kids were of their own education. They really are professionals/experts of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment