Friday, December 21, 2012

On Learning in New Media Environments

Going through Dr. Wesch’s virtual tour of New Guinea reminded me of my best friend’s Mexican hometown (more like home-ranch because it’s a deserted area where poverty-stricken homes are far away from each other). Something that really stood out to me while watching this video is that I don’t think I’ve experienced the feeling of culture shock, at least nothing uncomfortable. If I’m in Mexico I speak Spanish, if I’m at school I speak English, and if I’m with my friends I speak Spanglish. I’m like a chameleon in my community, I don’t fit anywhere yet I blend in everywhere. I’d really love to feel that feeling of complete culture shock, it must be exciting. As a student I feel a bit cheated of my education. I can count numerous classes that have sent the wrong message: that learning is acquiring information and that I must face the teacher to keep from interacting with my peers. When in reality, my instructors should have been creating, “caring, daring, and collaborative learners.” Take this class for example, I haven’t been bored once. Every class felt more like hanging out with my friends than attending class, and I’ve learned more here than in any class at USD or SDSU for that matter. After watching this video I understand why my Professor wanted us to cultivate our own learning and connect with one another. He didn’t want to limit our learning. As an educator and as a leader, I will always remember his consideration towards us and find a way to show the same respect and courtesy to my future students.

No comments:

Post a Comment