Friday, December 21, 2012

On Stephen Downes’ “The Role of an Educator in a Networked World”

First I’d like to say that this videos was super long. And even though the information being shared was interesting, the voice of the speakers made me doze off once in a while. I did however, notice that the chat was a lot like the one we had online as a class the second time we had a conference. I found a great connection between the emphasis being put on the role of engagement in the classroom as a community rather than acquired knowledge and things I’ve observed on our assigned videos and in our classroom. I have seen this idea twice before: Once, when viewing the video on Learning Environments and twice with my Professor at USD. Throughout the semester he encouraged us to cultivate our own PLN and tried to take as little role in my learning as possible. He was there simply for guidance and support and left my learning experience entirely up to me. I’ve never had that before, and I struggled at first, but now I think it has been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I have noticed that the role of an educator in a networked world may work for an educator out in actual classrooms as well. It is not necessarily that we are allowing them to construct their own curriculum and standards, but we should allow them to make decisions as to which tools they’ll use to grow in knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment